triangel_blue6
WOMEN IN TECH

Meet the Women in Tech who are championing the fight against AI bias.

Understand what is at stake regarding AI Bias and discover 4 women who are championing the fight against AI bias.

 Tara Johnson
Tara Johnson

Social media and Event Manager at 50inTech

As we progress in this era of AI innovation and begin some forms of dependence on AI, there is a multitude of voices flagging concerns with the way we have and continue to develop technology.

“For technology to benefit everyone we need diversity among its creators” - Dora Palfi, Founder imagiLabs

We all know too well the imbalance in tech with regards to diversity and intersectionality. With the research and technology fields typically being male-dominated, there has been a plethora of implications that affect the female population over the years from little details like phone sizes made for men’s hands to car crashes (where women are 47% more likely to be seriously injured).

This bias is heavily reflected in AI with (but not limited to):

  1. Recruitment tools
  2. Facial recognition
  3. Google translate
In order for us to advance as a fair society, we must ensure that our technology is not doomed to divide.

Let’s quickly look at the statistics on AI research and professionals…

According to the WEF Global Gender Gap Report in 2018, only 22% of AI professionals globally identify as female (meaning the other 78% are male). And although the numbers of women in AI are growing, they are still low to this day.

And what about diversity from the tech giants Google and Facebook/Meta? Journalists at Venture Beat report that “Google and Facebook do not supply AI research diversity numbers”. And we all know what that means…

Luckily, we have a variety of powerful voices pushing forward and calling out against AI bias in tech.

white_shape_illustration4shape1

Get your Weekly Jobs Matches with the Most Inclusive Companies For Free

SIGN Up for Free
triangle_red_dots

Meet the women in tech who are championing the fight against AI bias:

Joy Buolamwini

An Algorithmic Bias Researcher at MIT Media Lab and the Founder at The Algorithmic Justice League

  • Her focus? Bias in code that can lead to discrimination against underrepresented groups.
  • Her work? 2018 paper Gender Shades: Intersectional Accuracy Disparities in Commercial Gender Classification,[21] prompted responses from IBM and Microsoft, who swiftly improved their software

Learn more: Watch her Ted Talk with over 1 million views on how she is fighting bias in algorithms.

Caroline Criado Perez

A writer, broadcaster and award-winning feminist campaigner.

  • Her focus? Gender data gap and how it affects women.
  • Her work? Caroline is the author of Invisible Women, a book that demonstrates how the world we know is primarily built for and by men.

Learn more by reading her book: Invisible Women.

Carol J. Smith

A senior research scientist in human-machine interaction with the Emerging Technology Center (ETC) Division at Carnegie Mellon University’s Software Engineering Institute (SEI)

  • Her focus? Human-centred AI.
  • Her work? Carol's research at the Software Engineering Institute includes (but is not limited to): the Ethics of AI, Building Trustworthy AI and Bias in AI: Impact, Challenges, and Opportunities.

Learn more by following Carol and her work on Twitter.

Safiya Noble

An associate professor at UCLA, and is the Co-Founder and Co-Director of the UCLA Center for Critical Internet Inquiry

  • Her focus? How Search Engines Reinforce Racism
  • Her work? Safiya is the author of Algorithms of Oppression, a book that discusses…

Learn more about Sifiya in her interview with Vogue here.

Caroline Lair

Founder & CEO of The Good AI and Co-Founder of Women in AI

  • Her focus? Reducing the gender gap in AI.
  • Her work? Caroline has developed a multitude of programs aimed at encouraging more women in AI.

Learn more by watching her Ted Talk on AI for Good.

white_shape_illustration4shape1

Join our community of +15000 women in data, engineering, product, cyber, marketing, sales... who want to supercharge their career in Tech.

JOIN US, Now!
triangle_red_dots
white_shape_illustration4shape1

Connect with thousands of women in Tech, mentors, game-changers in the industry and access exclusive masterclasses to level up.

JOIN our community
triangle_red_dots

recommanded for you

Meet the Women in Tech who are championing the fight against AI bias.

5 Ways To Overcome Imposter Syndrome

July 6, 2021

In this special masterclass offered by 50inTech, Laura Lesueur talks about how to combat imposter syndrome, sharpen your motivation and grow your feeling of inner empowerment.

READ the article

‍4 Tips for a Successful Career Switch

March 15, 2022

In this episode of the 50inTech podcast, Olga Petrova, a former engineer and now project manager at Scaleway, shares four must-read tips to help women in tech ace their next career switch.

READ the article